The greatest economic loss from mice is not due to what they eat, but what must be thrown out because of damage or contamination. The pest control industry’s standard procedure for dealing with mice infestations is baiting with rodenticides.
- Mice are nocturnal creatures and are therefore rarely seen by the homeowner. The most obvious indicator of an infestation is droppings, sounds of running, gnawing or squeaking, or damage to stored food or other materials.
- Compared to rats, mice forage only short distances from their nest – usually no more than 10-25 feet.
- When food and shelter are adequate, their foraging range may be only a few feet. For this reason, traps and other control devices must be placed in areas where mouse activity is most apparent.
- Mice prefer to travel adjacent to walls and other edges. Mice are very inquisitive and will investigate each new object placed in their foraging territory. They are more likely to enter an enclosed bait box.
- Mice feed on a wide variety of foods, but prefer seeds and cereal grains. Mice can contaminate food and other stored products with their saliva, urine and feces, and by spreading diseases.
- In a single year, a female may have 5 to 10 litters of about 5 or 6 young. A female will only be pregnant 19 to 21 days before giving birth, and young will reach reproductive maturity in about 6 to 10 weeks. The life span of a mouse is usually 9 to 12 months.
EXPERTS IN PEST CONTROL SINCE 1970!
Enter your information or call (816) 279-2000
By clicking “GET ESTIMATE” I authorize Preferred Pest Control to contact me at this number. I understand I am not required to make a purchase.
PREFERRED PEST CONTROL
At Preferred Pest Control & Home Inspections, we offer comprehensive indoor and outdoor pest extermination and treatment services to stop infestations at their source. Our qualified exterminators are equipped to inspect your home environment, identify the scope of the problem, and determine the best course of action to eliminate those unwanted pests.
And when you hire us, you’ll benefit from our:
Reasonable pest extermination rates.
Easy, convenient appointment scheduling.
Dedication to your safety and comfort.