Preferred Pest Control shares tips for a pest-free baking this holiday season.
As the holidays draw near, families will begin spending more time in their kitchens baking festive treats and snacks. This popular tradition can quickly turn into a nightmare if you find signs of pests, such as cockroaches, rodents or pantry pests like beetles and moths. Once inside your home, pests can spread bacteria and contaminate food surfaces and ingredients. To ensure a pest-free holiday season, Preferred Pest Control, with the help of the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), is sharing tips for homeowners to use to prevent pesky kitchen pests.
Preparing for a busy holiday season includes pest-proofing your kitchen and not just decking the halls. Pantry pests such as beetles or moths can quickly infest the food in your cupboards and even contaminate the baking ingredients your family will use when preparing holiday meals this year. Other pests such as mice or cockroaches can spread throughout the house, causing an even bigger issue and headache for people. Follow these tips today to ensure your holiday baking day is pest-free!
8 Tips to Stop Pantry Pests from ruining your holidays:
- Store food in tightly sealed plastic or glass containers.
- Always discard any food past the expiration date on the package.
- Sift through flour, sugar and other dry ingredients carefully before adding to your recipe.
- Routinely clean out pantries and cabinets, checking in corners for signs of pests.
- Check ingredients and food items to ensure packaging is intact before purchasing them at the store.
- Look for any cracks or holes where pests might be coming into your home and seal them shut.
- Keep a clean and crumb-free kitchen, carefully wiping up spills and sweeping frequently.
- Eliminate sources of moisture around the home, paying special attention to the area under the sink.
If household pests are a problem, be sure to contact us for help at 816-279-2000 or click here for more information!